Theodore Fischer came from Germany in 1876 and established himself by building the fourth hotel in Frankenmuth. In 1894 Fischer added a hall to the premises for guests and entertainers to perform and as a meeting place for Frankenmuth residents. He painted the Masonic Slogan "Einigkeit Macht Stark" (Strength Through Unity) on the arch over the hall's stage. Perhaps it was Fischer's Masonic affiliation, which the local church disapproved of, that prompted Fischer to build a hall for residents who might wish to indulge in "worldly activities." These activities included a 1906 Republican rally for Governor Warner, medicine shows, and from 1889 to 1956 the meetings and dances of the “Gray Fox Club”.
Perhaps the most famous story about Fischer Hall is the "Notorious Flint Party" of January 30, 1926. The Frankenmuth News reported the event, which was described as a "wild orgy," included "women dancers from Detroit" and led to the arrest and fining of 21 people, including two Frankenmuth residents who were “inadvertently caught up in the sweep” conducted by local law enforcement officials.
In 1950 the Zehnder family purchased the Fischer Hotel and Hall. William "Tiny" Zehnder Jr. donated the Hall to the Frankenmuth Historical Association in 1986. The Hall was moved 500 feet, from its location behind the Bavarian Inn, to its present location on Main Street, next to the Frankenmuth Historical Association Museum. The two buildings were connected creating space for a gift shop and offices upstairs.
Today, Fischer Hall continues to serve its original purpose of hosting local events, weddings, performances, and small gatherings.
There's a special hush when winter arrives in Michigan's Great Lakes Bay Region, best broken by the sounds of activity-fed ...Keep Exploring »