The stockings were hung by the chimney with care... Surely it's the little details that add up to unforgettable gatherings, is it not? And as we're entering the season of St. Nicholas, we're also prepping for holiday gatherings where the magic and merriment happen! From family sit-downs to seasonal soirees, read on for our #GoGreat tips to give your holiday gatherings that something special this year.
Discover priceless know-how toward memorable dishes, tips and ideas for unique hosting gifts and even wine pairing considerations. Go Great Lakes Bay this season, and enjoy discovering "how-to" create unforgettable holiday gatherings!
Warm and Cozy
Nestled together around a warm pot of melty fondue, friends and family won't soon forget how cozy your gathering felt. Nor will they ever forget the pleasure of dipping into the fondue you served: melted Gruyère, aged in the natural Kaltbach caves from the canton of Lucerne in Switzerland, and that hearty charcuterie platter...
Have this evening this season, and learn "how-to" at Artigiano, Bay City's artisan cheese shoppe. Artigiano (ar-TEE-giano) offers not only small batch, handmade cheeses (and artisan crackers, premium extra virgin olive oils and balsamic vinegars), but also free, drop-in events including fondue demonstrations and "Cheese 101".
The Talk of the Town
When you serve authentic Lebkuchen Cookies or luscious German Chocolate Coffeecake around your Giant Santa Cupcake Cake centerpiece, guests will ooh and ahh-and ask where you learned how! The truth: at Zehnder's Holiday How To's.
- November 8 - 10, 2016, times and prices vary.
- Choose from 10 enjoyable classes, including "Hosting a Holiday Party" (think wine, hors d'oeuvres, hands-on fun and a special discount coupon for Zehnder's Retail Marketplace) and "Decorating Holiday Cookies."
- Call to reserve your place, and don't delay. Some classes are SOLD OUT already!
Wine Makes Everything Fine
Looking to serve a perfectly-paired wine this holiday? (Good thinking.) But red or white, and what complements the menu? Or perhaps you're gifting wine? (Good thinking, too.) Visit Go Great Lakes Bay restaurants and wineries for tasty research, and learn "how-to" pair wines perfectly with holiday flavors.
- Whine Bar, Inc.: Walk in anytime for a flight (a sampling of three wines; price depends on selection), or on Whine Wednesdays to purchase select labels at $15 per bottle.
- Prost! Wine Bar & Charcuterie: Study over 60 wine selections with Prost's exceptionally trained staff, and sample wine served on tap for a fresh perspective; daily specials.
- Eastman Party Store: Stop into the Eastman Party Store anytime for expert pairing advice and a massive selection of fine wines, beers, spirits, cheeses, fresh breads, olive oils.
- Ideal Party Store in Bay City features over 3,000 wines, 700 beers and a large liquor selection, too!
- Opperman's Cork 'N Ale Saginaw & Opperman's Cork 'N Ale Midland: With 2 Great Lakes Bay Region locations, this local staple is not-to-be-missed; choose from over 5,000 wines, 2,000 liquors, and 600 beers for a well-stocked holiday bar!
Crews & Brews
Gathered together with your closest friends, frosty mugs in-hand, good times and holiday memories are in the making. Before deciding on the selections you'll offer, try flights, flavors and talk micro-brew "how-to".
- Time-honored Flavors: Offer guests frothy goodness from the oldest brewery in the state of Michigan: Frankenmuth Brewery. The Christmas Town Ale is seasonal-don't miss out! And, should wee celebrators be in attendance, don't forget to nab some Frankie's Root Bier!
- Oppermann's Cork ‘N' Ale (locations in Saginaw and Midland): Touting over 600 beers, 4,000 wines and 2,000 liquors to choose from, consider New Belgium Brewing Co.'s "Pumpkick" ale for the holidays, with hints of pumpkin spice and cranberry.
Make it Matter
Want to know "how-to" truly create unforgettable holiday gatherings? Have fun! Decorate your home joyfully, and give gifts with sentiment whether as host or guest. Pick up priceless "how-to" (and where-at) toward decorating, gifting and creating heartfelt holiday gatherings this season.
- Decorative Gourd Workshop: Enjoy the surroundings of Chippewa Nature Center, and the know-how to create beautiful containers from gourds (think seriously cool and unique gifts) on November 19, 9 a.m. - noon (must register by November 15).
- Get to Creative 360 Stage, Studios & Gallery from 2 - 4 p.m. on Saturday, December 3 to discover Candy Making for Christmas! Who doesn't love a sweet treat? Not to mention that the perfect gift is also a lot of fun in the making! Pre-registration is required; don't delay.
One last "how-to": Handmade gifts take time to create ... but shopping on Saturday, December 3 at Chippewa Nature Center's Nature Art Show & Sale and Creative 360's Second Hand Picasso Art & Collectible Sale, December 3 - 19th, will result in quick, easy and absolutely unique gifts.
Cheers! To holiday how-to's and to getting help with your unforgettable holiday gatherings when you Go Great Lakes Bay!