Think you need to travel far to be immersed in culture? Think again. A tidal wave of epic, artistic proportions is sweeping the Great Lakes Bay Region this summer! It's called ArtWave, and you need only visit Go Great Lakes Bay's backyard of Saginaw, Bay City and Midland to get swept up in the excitement! Experience galas to get-downs, mind-opening museums, art fairs, festivals and more (so much more)! Dive into #ArtWaveMI this summer, and come out wandering, wondering and flat-out wowing at how one region can encompass so much creativity!
"It took me four days to hitch-hike from Saginaw..."
- 1968's "America" by Simon & Garfunkel
ArtWave begins by barreling through Saginaw County this May, and it's a good thing, because the city where Paul Simon wrote the above-mentioned infamous lyrics is rich with opportunity to revel and rejoice in the arts! (Psst! Did you know that an anonymous artist has painted 28 structures throughout Saginaw with lyrics from "America"? See them all while you're here!)
Before we fill your palette with all-things-ArtWave Saginaw:
- Planning to be in Bay City or Midland in May? No worries-events of the artistic style are a'plenty and a'happening there, too!
- Ahem. It's too early to confirm, but we've heard of an "encore ArtWave" coming in October. Which county, what events? Stay tuned here on the Go Great Blog for all the artistic details ...
Now, on with the show! Mark your calendars and make way for ArtWave Saginaw in May!
"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Pablo Picasso
- Enjoy an Arts Reception of the Area's Finest in Abstract Art: 6 - 8 p.m., May 6, Halfway to Forever: Art Exhibition with Mark Piotrowski, Logan Mooney, Kevin Kucken at Counter Culture in Old Town Saginaw. "Piotrowski has a tantalizing palette of color and shape ... Kevin Kucken is notorious for his recycled materials."
- Experience an Artistic Life: May 10, Macy's After Hours-Dennis Adomaitis Remembered, at the 1904 Georgian-Revival mansion Saginaw Art Museum. The art and the artist-exceptionally memorable.
- Soar to New Heights: May 27 - 30 at Balloons Over Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth! Let your night-owl-nature play from 9 - 10 p.m. on May 27 at Balloon Glow Event; get your early-bird-habits in gear for 6 - 8 a.m. morning competitions and flight activity.
"Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the inward places of the soul." - Plato
Need we say more? Consider ArtWave your all-inclusive ticket this May to:
- Behold the Breathtaking: 8 p.m. on May 7, as Saginaw Bay Symphony Orchestra performs "A Knight of Romance"-and 7 p.m. on May 14 as the Saginaw Choral Society's professional vocalists bring to life "The Wizard of Oz"-at the Temple Theatre.
- Laugh, Cry, Learn, Love: May 13 - 22 at the iconic rock musical Rent: The Broadway Musical. Dance in the aisles of one of the oldest community theatres in the United States, right in Old Town Saginaw, Pit & Balcony Theatre.
- Ignite Your "Indie" Spirit: May 15, as The Sunday Sixer performs live at Counter Culture -don't miss this!
Looking for a bite to eat before or after you ride the ArtWave? Saginaw is rich in restaurant options:
- Casual-upscale Jakes Old City Grill or Bancroft Wine and Martini Bar would add taste to your evening, indeed.
- Farm-to-fork Bradley's Bistro is becoming a must-taste local hotspot
- In a rush? Watch for the Makin' Bacon Food Truck, often parked in and around Old Town. (Warning: these on-the-go meat treats are not for the faint of heart!)
Staying overnight (or for the weekend) to catch more ArtWave experiences? We like the way you think. Here are 27 Saginaw hotels where you can rest your head as it swims with all the day's artfulness.
"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try" -Dr. Seuss
ArtWave is full of family fun, too - but who will have more fun, the kids or you? Consider ArtWave your family's pass to:
- Celebrate Mom: May 8, at Mid-Michigan Children's Museum. Mom's receive free admission; children can create a special frame for Mother's Day memories!
- Get Hands-On: May 10, for Boy's Day at Japanese Cultural Center, Tea House, and Gardens, and fold origami coy fish together.
- Bring Life to a Still Life: From 1 - 3 p.m. on May 14 at Saginaw Art Museum's Family Day! Discover charcoal, and draw your own still life.
- Experience Classical Exposure: At 3 p.m. on May 15 as the Saginaw Bay Youth Orchestra perform "Spring Youth Spectacular" at the Temple Theatre. Tickets are only $5; the impression made upon your wee ones will be much greater.
Visit ArtWave.org to discover all of what this wave will bring when you Go Great Lakes Bay and ride the #ArtWaveMI 2016! And be sure to check back here on the Go Great Bloglater this month when we release part 2 of our series: Your #GoGreat Guide To Catching The ArtWave in Midland This June!